Thursday, February 21, 2008

Things I love #2, The People Edition

Tisk, tisk people. What did I say? If you’re to send me messages calling me soulless, etc you should do it via blog comment. I already did “things I love #1” a few days ago. Did that count for nothing? But ok, maybe my crankiness came on a bit strong. I’ve been a bit stressed lately, but honestly I say and do a lot of things that just aren’t good…or maybe more specifically, NOT “smiled upon” and I wanted to just be more upfront about it. No apologies, but a zone for me to say things I think and feel. So I would like to submit my next post on things I love and be a little more specific this time. So, you can stop calling me names and psychoanalyzing me. I have a soul…it just happened to come with one complementary dirty east-coast mouth and one over analytical, over educated brain, and since I called within ten minutes I got a free career that deals with hearing and seeing REALLY shitty things happen to perfectly innocent people. That package deal can equal some pretty fucked up results…mostly turning me into an asshole. So…dear friends who’ve said some really weird and or mean shit to me this past week, Presenting: Things I love #2, The People Edition.

I love my siblings because we share parents and that means that we will one day (for better or worse) understand each other in a way that no one else will.

I love Jenny because she cried when I moved from Philly to Chicago and gave me my favorite shirt of hers, she stood in the receiving line at my grandmother’s funeral, and she knew to shut up and decorate the Christmas tree when my mother demanded she do so (who just seconds prior had threatened to beat up Jenny’s mom…weird story).

I love Dana because she knew me before Chicago…when people thought I was cool…and when she moved out here and watched me get progressively less cool, she loved me just as much as she ever did. She still does.

I love J-Mo because no matter what I say or do I’m right, and which ever person I’m telling him about me having a beef with is wrong. Samples of J-Mo’s work include: “FUCK THAT BITCH! SHE’S FUCKING DEAD TO YOU!!” & “Sorry officer. I didn’t even know that girl. I just gave her a ride.” And how could I forget, “Dude! Did you just f*** her in the back of my Explorer?! YES! You just upped the resale!!” Those are just of few of maybe 300 times that no matter what I did, to J-Mo I was right.

I love Matt and Bun because when they married I was in their bridal party…but wait—there’s more! Matt is my ex-boyfriend. Bun is the girl he dated after me (they married like 8 years after we broke up so this isn’t as weird as it sounds). The thing is; Matt is like family to me. We’ve known each other for over half of our lives. Our families know each other. He’s one of my best friends and this was going to be one of the biggest days of his life. We’ve been with each other through thick and thin…in fact when he and Bun broke up for a brief period he and I spent many hours concocting a plan to get her back…it worked. And Bun. I ADORE her. She’s like a fucking blonde Snow White who still thinks fart jokes are funny. She’s perfect and they belong together. And she gets “me and Matt”. And one day she called me and asked me to be one of her bridesmaids. I think it was her, “Don’t worry; he’s still going to be one of your best friends…even when he’s my husband.” She was right. *note…writing that kinda made me tear up*

I love Anne S. because despite having a really weird and awkward introduction and factors that would make most women really dislike or dismiss me, she ended up judging for herself and is now one of my best friends. Also, she has pretty much the finest ass in this hemisphere. Also she holds me accountable…again, without judging me. And her eyes are pretty.

I love M.S.G. because no matter what stupid idea I have she backs me. Doctor, lawyer, Indian chief…if I say I want to do it, she says I can. She’s seen me be a COMPLETE FUCKING ASSHOLE, told me I was being a COMPELTE FUCKING ASSHOLE and then would do something like take me to a movie or ask me to breakfast. She was the 1st person in Chicago that I let hear any of my music and when it was over she said, “I LOVE it dude, really!” And then a bunch of other stuff…and she meant it. I could tell by the way she said it. Also she’s a dego-wop. What’s not to love?

I love Annie Fegs because she drove all the way up here in the freezing weather just to bring me my favorite candy because I had a broken heart. That ain’t all, but it’s very representative of who she is and how she treats me.

I love Myers because she’s the devil on my shoulder and probably my biggest cheerleader…but only in things that involve malice intent…and everyone needs one of those! AND…she’d do anything for me. I know it.

I love Fannie and LES because they treated me like family…which gladly involved me letting them hog the couch while I brought them drinks. I’d do it again in a second. Also, they were confident enough in their intellect to admit to loving and respecting someone who goes by the name of Buffy.

I love Anna W. because she was some sort of salvation to me. A reminder that I might be worth loving and that someone might still be worth being loved. And she’s a super-good drinker with a great shoe and bag collection.

I love Amy G. because she may have been my sanest, while it lasted. Not sane as in that SHE was sane. Or that I was sane. But that IT was sane, because it was the most truthful I’d ever been with myself. And in that time she was evidence that I’d made it. That I wasn’t my past and that if nothing else I knew that there was at least one thing on this planet that I knew how to do organically. I knew how to 100% whole-heartedly love a person 100% of the time no matter what else was going on in my life. No matter where I’d been and no matter where I was going. It probably seems simple for a lot of you. Not for me. At least now I know it’s possible.

I love Nicole because she said I had to say I love her and I've been letting her boss me around for over half my life...why stop here?


Now, what are the commonalities between all of these people? #1 They all know that I may just be one of the most imperfect people they have ever met. And #2 I love them all so deeply that it makes my gut hurt. None of this negates my assholeness, and remember I’m not claiming that every one of these people loves me in return…but I’m not sure that’s really the point.

*note* there are others. I’ll get them next time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO sick of hearing about Anne's damn ass!!!!

rem said...

hahahaha!!!! not me dude! i could go on and on! i just may...

Anonymous said...

Hey, you forgot the **mini** brownie bites I bought you too! Just kidding. You also forgot:

1. I love you back.
2. I'm totally going to be rich AND hot...which means I'm also next in line to be yo shugamomma. I hope you like d'ahmonds guuurrll.

I think you made my heart hurt for a second. That's weird. I think I need to go sit down. I think I want my Mommy. Mommy why does REM make me feel funny down there??? Er. Just kidding. You know I love you, Garvey.

Anonymous said...

Yeah and f' that. What about MY ass??

Anonymous said...

haha i just called myself faggies. whooops. dude, erase that!

rem said...

different anne. not that your ass isn't rad ;-)

rem said...

no way, dude. "faggies" stays.

CherryPieFilling said...

AWWWWWWW.....well, what can I say? You can not tell a lie! Who would have guessed that after all this time, you have finally passed the devil inside to me...thats TITS! (ps, i sure hope this blog does not turn into one of those sappy shit pages. i hate those)

Anonymous said...

Dude, what the hell is going on in Chicago? What is Brita missing? Okay seriously, this was a very moving post. It's important to give thanks and appreciate those people we love unconditionally. Good form Rachel, good form!
If you can't already tell by my comment time stamp, I haven't had my klonopin yet so i'm fucking wide awake...and you, where are you?? Sleeping an hour ahead of me? Perhaps? Did you fix your layout yet? What's this about perhaps returning to the east coast? Wow, i'll stop rambling now.

Anonymous said...

It's really 1:47 by the way. You realllly need help situating your blog, you're currently posting in a pacific time zone. Nice :)

rem said...

Thanks Brita. And NO! I haven't worked out my blog glitches. HELP ME BRITAAAA!!!

And cherrypiefilling,
Come now. You know me better than that!